The Scotsman Saturday 1st February 1896
Saturday 15th February at 12 o’clock at Dowdells, 38 George Street
THE VERY VALUABLE COLLECT OF ASTRONOMICAL, SCIENTIFIC AND CHEMICAL INSTRUMENTS, which belonged to the late FREDERICK J HUGHES Esq, Bo 'ness
Comprising magnificent equatorial refracting telescope on massive cast-iron pillar by T. Cooke & Sons , York with 5-inch object glass and set of negative and kelner eyepieces, with solar and star diagonals and Barlow Lens with driving clock, declination and right ascension circles, divided on silver , 28 inch polar axis; large altitude and azimuth instrument , with vertical and horizontal circles, 36-in. diameter, graduated to 5 minutes of arc, with eight reading microscopes with micrometers; transit on stone piers with telescope three and one eigth inch diameter , 46 inch focal length, refracting telescope 4 inch clear aperture , 7 inch. sextant; two fine regulator sidereal clocks by miller, electric clock by Shepherd and Bain, fine ship ' s chronometer by Millidge, projection and solar microscopes , spectroscope by Duboscq fine chemical balance by Oertling,Becker & Dunn; a large lot of object glasses , electric appliances , chemical apparatus , Bunsen battery mercury. Select library astronomical works by Pearson, Chauvenet, Brunnows and Toomis R A S monthly notices , &e.
Full particulars in Descriptive Catalogue , which is in preparation .
This telescope was purchased by Frederick Hughes from Thomas Cooke in May 1865.