In 1864 the Rev D A Freeman of Temple, London purchased a 4.5 inch Thomas Cooke & Sons telescope with a finder and 4 astronomical eyepieces. Also purchased was a sun prism, parallel wire micrometer and illuminating apparatus. The telescope was on a stout tripod.
He moved shortly after the purchase of this telescope to Kent where most of his observations would be made.
The telescope would be used to observe the Sun and double stars.