Sunday 18 September 2022

Rev J Spear in India with his Cooke

 On June 13th 1870 the Rev. J Spear observed the occultation of Saturn by the Moon. Definition excellent. The Moon passed steadily over the planet without causing any change of form, or giving any indication of the planet’s light passing through an atmospheric medium. The planet when near the moon’s limb assumed a ‘sickly green hue’ according to a note I made at the time and which I saw corroborated in the Monthly Notice afterwards.

November 9th 6.30 am observed Mars, phase gibbous. Snow and ice on the north pole intensely bright and glistening.

December 8th 1870 the Rev J Spear watched for the occultation of zeta Tauri, no occurrence occurred. The Moon passing at leats 10 minutes north of the test star to the best of my judgement.


The telescope used was a 4.5 inch Thomas Cooke & Sons , the defining power of the telescope is excellent.


Good nights are not very frequent except in the cold season. Scintillation of the stars within about 12 degrees of the horizon is very considerable, even at my present elevation of about 7,300 feet.

I fear there is nothing else in my notes worth communicating. I have not been able to obtain good views of Venus lately owing to the heavy fogs.


Churkrata N W Provinces, Bengal




No comments:

Post a Comment