Monday 26 June 2023

Satellite transits of Jupiter seen with a Cooke telescope in Canada in 1891

On December 12th 1891 the peculiar appearance of Satellite IV was also observed by Mr J C Donaldson LLD of Fergus, 65 miles NW of Toronto.

Dr Donaldson, who had a clear sky. Wrote:- “On coming back to the telescope (a 3.5 inch refractor by Cooke), about 6.35, I fancy, I saw that IV had emerged from Transit, and I could not help noticing, the great contrast in colour between it and III and Jupiter itself, being of a dark – bluish colour, apparently so dark in fact that when I tried my 2.25 inch glass upon it I could scarcely detect it at all. In the 3,5 inch, the sight was very interesting, the two satellites looking almost like a close double star of complementary colours, III being of a golden yellow and IV of a dark blue colour.







No comments:

Post a Comment