Tuesday 11 January 2022

Two Edinburgh Cookes

 

I was fortunate enough just before Christmas to be invited to present a zoom talk to the Astronomical Society of Edinburgh on the telescope maker Thomas Cooke of York. I plan to present a blog on this telescope in the near future. In the meantime I have come across another two Cooke telescopes in Edinburgh.

They were both purchased by Daniel Barton of Clarendon Cr. Edinburgh in 1865. Thomas Cooke & Sons described the first as telescope No.31, I do not know the size of the instrument which cost £45 that price today would be £6,000. He also purchased telescope No. 19 in a mahogany box for £16 at today’s price that would be £2,100.

I have no further information regarding Daniel Barton, I am no sure if his name has any historical reference in Edinburgh.




No comments:

Post a Comment