Leeds Mercury Saturday 27th January 1906
One the old stone houses on the Woodhouse Moor Reservoir at the Grammar School side has been adapted for astronomical use and a large 18-inch reflector telescope has been placed in position there. This telescope is the gift of Major Duncombe, and is fitted with the customary mounting, range-finding, and clockwork appliances. In an adjoining room a transit instrument has been mounted, and this, like the telescope, is now almost completely adjusted for use. The dome of aluminium is moveable, and apertures may be opened to suit the convenience of the astronomer.